Openoffice is a freeware open source software from Sun Microsystems.It is the best alternative to Microsoft office suite.It can be used for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics and databases.Openoffice is distributed under LGPL license i.e it is completely free to use it for personal,public and commercial purpose and you can redistribute it to your family and friends.
It saves your data in an international open standard format and supports formats of all major office Suites including Microsoft office.It is multilingual and currently supports 120 languages.
Advantages of Using OpenOffice:-
- It is a freeware utility you don’t have to spend even a single penny for it.
- It has a very good Bug Reporting feature using which you can not only report any error to the developers team but you can also do IRC chat with them.
- It works on Multiplatforms like such as Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Sun Solaris.
- Its user interface comes in different 40 languages.
- It includes PDF and Flash export capabilities as well as you can open all the files which are saved in Microsoft Office, HTML, XML, WordPerfect, and Lotus 123 formats.
- More frequent updates.
- Simple and more user friendly which is easy to use.
- Easy to install and Start-Up.
Disadvantages of Using OpenOffice:-
- It runs slower than MS-Office.
- It has a higher memory and CPU usage than other office suites. This is because it contains all-inclusive program rather than several individual programs like other office suites. This can cause the program to function slower than other office suites.
- It comes with less number of fonts than available in other office suites.
How to Get it:-Go to the OpenOffice.org official website and download latest version of it.
How to Install OpenOffice.org:-
- After downloading the file double click on setup.exe file. Click on Next button and again on Next button.
- Now browse the location where you want to save all its installation files (recommended keep it Default). Click on Unpack button.
- Now click on Next button.
- Accept the Licence Agreement and then click on Next button.
- Enter your name and the organization in which you are working for (if any). Now click Next button.
- Select Complete start up file and then click on Next button.
- In next step, do Check Mark on all the MS-Office files that you want to open in OpenOffice.org then click on Next button.
- Now click on install button and after that your computer will start copying files.
- And finally, the software installation is done. Click on finish.
Starting up OpenOffice:-
- To open OpenOffice for the first time go to Start–>Programs–>Open Office and clicking on Writer. In the next window click on the Next button in the welcome section.
- Now again click Accept button in the Licence Agreement.
- In the next window fill some details and then click on Next button.
- Now in the Registration step, select I do not want to register button and then click on Finish button.
That’s it. Now OpenOffice is successfully installed on your computer. Explore all its exciting features.